Overview of the Phases of the Project
- Answer Questions on the Outline
- Turn the questions into a 5+ paragraph story about yourself
- Type into Google Docs at home or in class.
- "Make a copy" of your TEXT autobiography to include pictures.
- In the copy, insert 3-4 pictures to go along with your autobiography.
Pictures should include the ROLL picture I took, and 2-3 others of your choice
that support your story.
- Check list for
Format to Prep for
- Share to submit for grading.
1. Autobiographical Outline Questions
Use this sheet to work out your OUTLINE of ideas to discuss. After you have
answered the questions on this form, write out a 3-5 paragraph Autobiography
using the answers from these questions to tell your story about yourself.
From the answers below, you will write an autobiographical letter. Write NEATLY with correct grammar/spelling.
Must be at least one page.
(2) Your family
(3) Your friends
(4) Your school life.
a) Share what grade you are in and what activities you have already or will
participate in, and how High School has been so far. If you are a 9th Grader,
what is like to be arriving so far? Etc.
b) What are you looking forward to in and/or out of school? Etc.
(5) Your interests & hobbies
(6) How do you see yourself in relation to all of the above? (in relation to
your friends, family and school)?
(7) Describe any unusual events in your past.
(8) What are your goals in life? And what responsibilities do you feel you have
to yourself, family and others?
(9) Where (position, location, career, etc.) would you like to see yourself in
the next 10-15 years (ie. by age 30)?
(10) How has imagery affected you specifically in your life...shaped who you
2. AutoBiography Rough Draft
- Convert the questions above into a
full story. This is to be hand written, on your own time, and turned in for a
3. After you have completed your rough draft, you will then
type it into Google Docs.
- Title your Autobio in Google Drive like this:
WB# Autobiography Your Name
<--- The # will be your PERIOD number.
Make a copy of the Autobiography to insert your pictures.
- Change the title of your Autobio in Google Drive ADDING
"with Pict" to the file name...like this: WB#
Autobiography Your Name with Pict
<--- The # will be your PERIOD number.
- Using Chrome (or Firefox at home), drag & drop or paste
images into your autobiography.
- Drag & Drop allow you to drag images off of your computer.
Caution, if they are TOO large (resolution) you may have to down size them. In
class, right click on the image and resize to "large"...which is MUCH smaller.
- Paste allows you to paste an image in from the internet. Go
to an internet site of your choice (when permitted in class), right click on
the image, and then go back to Google Docs and PASTE (Ctrl + V).
- If you need an image from Instagram, or another site that
does not let you COPY the image, you can use the Snipping Tool (Windows 7+),
to SCREEN Capture the image.
- Have open on the screen the image you want to capture.
- Go to Start, then, Snipping Tool
- It will start out ready to capture an image. Simply draw a
rectangle around the area you want to capture.
- Then click the Copy (Ctrl + C)
- Now go PASTE (Ctrl + V) in your Google Doc.
- If you mess up the capture the first time, click New, and
it will reactivate the Snipping Tool.
- Click on each image. Change to "Wrap text" and align with
the either the left of right edge.
- Have a total of 3-4 images evenly spread out on the left and the right
sides of your essay.
- You may also want to review this resource:
5. Checklist for Autobiography to Prep for Publishing
Check list of items to check for before getting an ok to uploading: This step
has to be done in the room here, using MS Word. Although you can insert pictures
while it is initially in Google Docs, it is more difficult to manipulate the
pictures and the over all layout.
- Change the File Name (Google Drive's Name) to reflect your name and
Autobiography YOUR NAME #WB#
2nd # sign
will be your PERIOD number. PLEASE ALSO DO THIS WITH FOCUS!
- Bold (Ctrl B) your name that appears in the body of your autobiography
- Underline (Ctrl + U) the sentence referring to your birthday and/or year of birth.
If you didn't include this originally, do so now.
- Include a proper Header (Insert, header) (Roll
# in upper left, name and
period in upper right)
- Set the font to Times New Roman
- Justify the margins of the main body (Do a Ctrl + A, then Ctrl +
Shift + J)
- Center Justify the title of the paper (Ctrl + Shift + E)
- Drag your picture in from your Class Folder. OPTIONAL - Crop your picture for a more pleasing appearance.
Will require opening the image in an editor first, then saving the image. We
will ALL do this later, but for now, try to choose pictures that are cropped
- Portrait Picture size should be approximately 1.5" tall
(the width will vary) and should be in the upper right corner
(assuming you were looking to the right when I took your picture (most of you
- Format the margins to either 0.75" or 1"
depending on the amount of text. i.e. small margins for lots of text. Large
margins for little bit of text. We want it to fit on one page unless it REALLY
goes to two pages.
- Place another image of your choice (you can go to Face Book or some
other online site) to support your Autobio...and
copy and paste at the bottom of the page. Format the Text Wrapping to be a
Square Graphic and put a border around it as well. Three pictures is plenty.
This includes 1 portrait at the top and two candids, but 4 is ok.
- Arrange the pictures and the overall size of things to get rid of orphans
and widows and to best maximize your page with out going to two pages. Try to
have one image that is a little larger than the other two.
- Set font size from 10-13 depending on the amount of text (see concept as
Some sample screen shots to help with the formatting.
- NOTE: ALL pictures should be aligned to the
LEFT or RIGHT
edge of the text. Do NOT let it hang outside of the edge
of the margins.
6. Publish & Share in Google
- Go to your Google Drive
- Click on File/Share...see the two screen shots below:
- In the section of "Who has access", click on "Private
... Change..." and
change to "Anyone with the Link" or "Public on the web" depending on
preference. Also change it so that I can COMMENT.
- The "Anyone with the link" will allow me to check your
Autobiography. You can also email your AB to
anybody by simply copying the URL.
- If you click on "Public on the Web", it will
be visible to anybody. Obviously you do NOT have to share your AB publicly, but I want
you to know how to do this. You can use these settings so that other people
can share and edit your documents, in collaborative work projects. Be
responsible with this as it is very powerful.
- In the "Invite people" section, add the following email:
WBPhotoMail@gmail.com (copy and
paste this exactly so as to avoid mistakes). This will email me a link so I
can check your document and reply back with a grade.
Alternatives to using FaceBook for pictures:
- Use your parents Facebook account.
- Email a photo to yourself from your camera phone. (borrow your parents
phone if you don't have a camera phone)
If you created your Autobiography in a offline word processing program
(MSWord) and you want to upload it to Google Drive:
- Right next to Create is the Upload button, click it:
. Then click Files, then navigate to
the location of your finished Autobiography with Pictures.
- After the upload has finished, click to open.
- Note: You may need to do some reformatting before proceeding to the