Photo II+ Communication Graphics II - 0556 Current Assignments and Lessons - click on each for more information.
This page is NO LONGER ACCURATE!
Please visit the most current version of this page:
Photo III+ see, you specific Objectives here as well as noting any specific notes below
Keep up and/or work ahead with each Focus Period projects. [See Assignments to see what will be due by the end of the Focus and/or Grade Period. PLEASE BE ADVISED that there are numerous references with in the Focus and assignment pages to "6 Weeks". Focus 1-6 are still roughly broken into 6 week periods. Grade Periods may overlap the Focus Periods. So, pay close attention to the assignment page to determine what is due and and when. Although I do not require ToDo list, you should develop and maintain one if you want to get better...it will help. BE ADVISED I will not accept late work beyond a Focus Period. Once the FOCUS has rolled over to the next Focus Period, grades due for that Focus will not be accepted after 1 week. Also, if an assignment is LATE, extra work will need to be done to earn your late grade.]
Special Topic #1 Topic Selection and Proposal - See assignment page and more details below. Topic selection due by first Friday of each 6 weeks. Proposal due by end of 2nd weeks of 6 weeks. 100 points.
Film shooting and Darkroom Printing - Topic: Contrast (Effective Black and White) This will be DUE in the 2nd GP, but we will start preparation in the 1st GP. 300 points. Photo Composition - Start shooting ASAP. Be sure to complete a shooting log while shooting your roll of film. Process film as time permits initially. Final Printed 8x10 due in time for ATPI Fall Contest in Mid October. You may use a Pentax ZX-M for other shootings. Please read the Review Sheet before requesting to use a ZX-M camera! It has a Depth of Field Preview button which is pretty cool...lots of basic cameras today do not have this. And something we are going to shoot for with the DSLRs.** Shooting for Depth of Field assignment is digital.
Current Events - Shoot 3 events in the Fall. Gallery of 24 pictures due for each to Google Photo Gallery Repeats again in the Spring so plan your events now. Shoot AHEAD of time. Shoot extras.
Depth of Field - Review DOF Shooting Assignment (shooting on your own time) - Start developing a Web Gallery for "Depth of Field" - Lecture forthcoming, but you can review the presentation now - Depth of Field Presentation
Special Topic #1 Proof of shooting due by the 3rd Friday in time for Progress Reports. Mounted 8x10 for topic due by the 5th Friday of each 6 weeks. Topics will be presented the following week. Volunteers will be taken first, then random drawing.
Focus - Each day, complete the focus. Work on outside of class to allow time for extra darkroom printing (fall) or digital darkroom (spring) work. See Focus for actual due dates. 300 points.
Contests - Entries in EACH contest is required! All contest entries must be mounted...unless otherwise noted (digital contest entries). Note: Entries may NOT be back in time or may be returned damaged and there for unavailable for mailing to another contest...please plan ahead. Use this special Print Tracker to plan your entries.
Winnie Texas Rice Festival (Due: MID September). Shooting should already be underway. POL Gallery will be due by Wed of the second week of school. You will be able to use some older pictures...but you have at least three NEW pictures due for TRF. So, start shooting, and start printing up 8x10s. Requirements: 5 Images, three new. 5 = 95. 6+ = 100. No rice = -10. You must enter one into each category before you can duplicate: Rice (ANYTHING pertaining to rice or rice production), Open, Family Living (Should be families living or interacting with each other, NOT staged family portraits.), Black & White and Wildlife & Nature. You may enter more (if your older stuff is of good quality). New is described as having been taken since June 1st of this year and not have been turned in for other assignments. This deadline MUST not be missed or you are likely to FAIL the 1st 6 weeks as once the deadline has passed, your assignment can not be turned in. Entry is required into ALL contests.
Reflections - Due: Focus 2 (~3rd week of October) - Photo 3+ Video Required...use Reflections theme.
ATPI Fall Contest - Due: Focus 2 (~3rd week of October)...but start PLANNING and SHOOTING NOW! Five entries minimum required. Three photos, minimum, must be new...previous work CAN be used for the additional required entries. One must be a DCI and can come from last year, but you should work on new examples as time permits. One must be a darkroom printed B&W (it can be from last year IF you have a print worthy of a contest entry). The other entries will be submitted electronically. Send more than required. Winning entries are placed on ATPI poster! Look around the room to see samples of what the judges look for in a picture. Send in your best stuff!! Only $1 per entry. Notice the categories...Print, Digital AND Video. Photo 3+ Video Required...use Reflections theme.
Fall Photo Display Assignment - Final Due date is May - Google Photo galleries for Nature, Wildlife, and Nighttime (we'll get some of these together hopefully over the next few months but be shooting for this on your own as well with friends from class.)
- Depth of Field Gallery
- Special Topic Selection and Proposal - See below for specific assignment details. Proposal by the third Monday. In light of ATPI due date during the first half of the 2nd 6 weeks, you may turn in your ST Prop after we clear ATPI, however, you should still be working on this assignment. 100 points.
- ATPI Fall Contest - Five (5) PHOTO entries minimum required (for a 90). See my page for a summary of details and a link to official details (including categories). 200 points
- Current Events - Web Gallery with 24 pictures of an event due by the Friday of the 3rd week of EACH 6 weeks. 200 points
- Reflections - Must be shot inspired by the theme. See link for requirements. 200 points. This is NOT pictures of reflections. See link for more info
- Focus - Each day, complete a focus. 300 points.
- Special Topic #2 - Topic selection and Proposal due by the SECOND Monday of each Focus Period. Proof of shooting due by the 3rd Friday, in time for Progress Reports. Final and/or BEST work will be present as your final slide in your presentation. Topics will be presented the following week. Volunteers will be taken first, then random drawing.
- Focus 2 Quiz
- Photo Montages - for the ATPI and other DCI contest categories...note the due dates specific to each contest. Create several, as time permits. Gallery of DCIs due in the Mid November.
Due later...but should be in progress
- Video #1 - Photo Story - Still pictures and music. Due at the end of Focus 3. Pick your song NOW! When picking a song, research what can be used on YouTube. If it can NOT be used on YouTube, do NOT pick the song.
- Fall Photo Display Assignment - Final Due date is end of Focus 3, but the topics include night time shooting and late summer and early fall landscapes, so plan to start shooting this early. This will be in addition to your Special Topics and Contests along the way. Project completion consists of Galleries for each topic.
- Publishing Design Project
- Google Photo Gallery Check - Basic Setup of folders with at least some images in each folder. See Online Gallery. You ended Comm I with 19+, so you should have at least 30+. Your gallery MUST be organized so that all Dated galleries appear at the top, and all THEMED galleries appear at the bottom in roughly alphabetical order.
- Minimum Galleries NEW (you will have many MORE from the many you created last year). Galleries should have more than 1-2 images. I don't want to put an exact minimum of images, but the general guideline is to only create a gallery if you intend to put more pictures in it. VERY IMPORTANT - Keep the number of images to a minimum. Do not upload every DOF or Flash picture you take. Cull them down to a selection to represent your best work. If you do include a bad example for a specific reason, be sure to note it in the caption.
- CE 1, 2, & 3 (extras as appropriate) - be sure they are NAMED correctly. "2014-12-01 Christmas Lighting CE3" Not like this ->
- Special Topics 1, 2, & 3
- Deviations (complete tutorials) - should have approximate 4...1 from last year, 3 for this year.
- Depth of Field - Deep when SHALLOW would have prevailed. Effective SHALLOW when DEEP would prevail.
- Flash - Samples of Fill, Multi, and Slow Curtain Sync, etc. (see below)
- Special Fall Semester Topics: Wildlife, Scenic, Night - Fall Special Themed Project...indicate with a FT at the beginning of the gallery name.
- Photos collected for your Photostory 2015-08 thru 12 or a more specific date if it applies.
- TRF Galleries for the 5 topics shot during the summer. CONSOLIDATED into ONE gallery for 2015 (3rd and 4th, please make sure you got this done for previous years. Part of the gallery check is that you are maintaining your PW Gallery...make it neat, update as necessary, etc.).
- Other (People, Children, Sports, Darkroom scans, etc.)
- Darkroom Prints Digitized - Gallery of images shot with a digital camera and upload. Include pictures from 1st year. Crop and improve in Picasa and Upload. You should have approximately 11 images in this gallery (6 for last year, 5 for this year)
- Computer Projects (including your new publishing Project)
- Current Events - One new event due by the Friday of each 3rd week of the Focus...uploaded to your Google Photo Gallery (and labeled correctly). Focus 3 CE3 is due Wenesday after Thanksgiving.
- Flash Gallery - Selected examples presented in your Web Gallery showcasing effective use of Flash. Cannot all come from Class Day shootings...need to be from various sources, including practicing what we learn in class during the Focus 3 weeks in class practice work. No repetitious use of the same subjects. Pick 1 or 2 samples from each subject. Samples in gallery need to include:
Slow Shutter Sync with light
Double Exposure from Multiple flash bursts
High speed (like a water drop)
Black background subject isolation - subject shot against a black background with maximum shutter sync speed at low iso so that only the subject is only illuminated from the flash.
Fill flash outdoors
Fall Photo Display Assignment - Final Due date is week before last week of year (week before finals), a long time in the planning and shooting...topics include Night Time (Long Exposure), Nature and Wildlife (things NOT found in your house or your backyard). Plan to start shooting this early as you will not be as likely to get good pictures in January & February. This will be in addition to your Special Topics and contests along the way, so take advantage of the activities and outings to make sure you have enough photos in each Gallery. Interim check: by Thanksgiving, have all three galleries established with at least 1 new photo in each gallery. POL gallery due by 3rd week of 3rd 6 weeks.
Video #1 - Photo Story - Still pictures in a gallery and music selection made. Due at the end semester (pictures due by Christmas, but assembling the project AFTER Christmas). Pick your song ASAP! When picking a song, research what can be used on YouTube. If it can NOT be used on YouTube, do NOT pick the song.
Special Topic #3 - Final images due by the 5th Friday of each 6 weeks. Topics will be presented the following week. Photo 4, then 3 will go first, then volunteers, then random drawing. Present via Prezi. You should generate a personal write up and/or note cards...which will help you determine what to say and to practice.
Focus - Each day, complete your focus. Please stay caught up. Review all material between the BLUE and RED bars.
3rd Floor - Entries due in the 4th GP.
ATPI - Feb...JUST around the corner. - Optional to TRAVEL (mainly 3rd+ year students), but EVERYBODY submits to the "Carry In Contest: Self Portrait"
Self Portrait - Due late January. Be shooting your self now so you have plenty to choose from. (must be new...as in taken CURRENT SCHOOL YEAR) Start shooting your self NOW!!! (not literally of course) You need to enter more than one. $1. per entry. 3+ = 100, 2 = 95, 1 = 65. I would like to see one traditional, one CGI.
- Survey 12, 13, and 14
- ST Prop
- PicasaWeb Gallery (Flash Gallery Setup, initial images)
- Publishing Project - send receipt to email. Place finished work in Photoshop Class Projects gallery online.
- Photo 3+ - Animation in PicasaWeb Gallery
- Video 2 Treatment - See Video 2 below for more information
- Video 2 Storyboard - See Video 2 below for more information
- Current Event 4 - Turn in a LINK to your gallery with 24+ pictures showing you shot an event. Make sure it is an event...of people doing stuff. I want active shooting. Cover an event. Submit something from each event to the Journalism department (you can send them a link also). Seniors...see Protege that is to be done in place of your CE4.
- Special Topic #3 Topic, Proposal, Proof of shooting - Topic selection due by first Friday of each 6 weeks. Proposal due by the 2nd Friday and is part of your progress grade. Proof of shooting due by the 3rd Friday in time for Progress Reports.
- Deviations - # required based on complexity...2-4 per 6 weeks. See Photoshop Montage for more details. Actual number depends on complexity. Make a gallery in your Picasa Web (if you do not have one already)...call it Photoshop Deviations or something along that line.
- Video 2 - Rough Edit. Topic will be discussed in class. Since MOST modern day cameras record CLIPS and a TRUE incamera edited video is no longer possible, SOME editing will be required to submit your editing. You will complete a FINAL edited version later in the 5th 6 weeks class.
- Video 4 Theme - Although this will not be due until GP6, the TOPIC must be picked NOW, BY the 3 week interim. 1x
- Online Gallery -Organize your portfolio for a check some time AFTER ATPI. continue working with your selected images that you put in your Online Gallery at Picasa Web. Go back to previous galleries, like Depth of Field and Fill Flash, and add additional practice examples as your accumulate them, and delete the previous not so good ones.
- Focus - Each day, complete a focus. Present for grading in the last week of the 6 weeks.
ATPI - February
Self Portrait - 2 Self Portrait minimum for ATPI...DIGITAL FILEs. 50 cent Entry Fee. Official contest detail: http://www.atpi.org/selfportrait/ (Everybody enters...even if you are NOT traveling to ATPI.) Must be new...as in taken CURRENT SCHOOL YEAR. Start shooting your self ASAP and frequently!!! (not literally of course) You need to enter more than one. $0.50 per entry. 3+ = 100, 2 = 95, 1 = 65. I would like to see one traditional and one CGI as a minimum. Spend some time thinking about this. Study other peoples work.
- Special Topic #4 - Topic selection due by first Friday of each 6 weeks (2nd Friday for Focus 5). Proof of shooting due by the 3rd Friday in time for Progress Reports. Final image for topic due by the 5th Friday of each 6 weeks. Topics will be presented the following week. Volunteers will be taken first, then random drawing. The 4th and 5th ST will be just Proof of shooting required by end of 4th 6 weeks. Completion of the 4th topic will be deferred to just before the State Fair. Mounted print and brief presentation to be done during the 5th Grade Period.
Third Floor Photographic Society Annual High School Shoot-Out (Due: 3/9/16) - Digital images submitted via ATPI Upload Site (with metadata) by the 3rd week of the 5th 6 weeks.. Only $1 per entry. Five entries required minimum (for a 90)...one must be a DCI...can be previous work (this school year). Can not duplicate categories until the minimum 5 are entered. MAX of 3 per category. My suggestion is to enter 10-12 entries!! This is a statewide competition with state level recognition! Winners will be announced at ATPI!
ST State Fair (Due: 3/9/16). Shooting should already be underway. You will be able to use some older pictures...but you have at least one NEW (preferably from your 4th ST). MANY pictures have NOT been printed this year. So, start printing up 8x10s. Requirements: SF: 3 Images, ONE must be new (if your older stuff is of good quality) and ONE must be a DCI. New is described as having been taken since June 1st and not have been turned in for other assignments.
Rising Star - Due BEGINNING of 6th GP Team Portfolio - Sign up https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av1TgV270uIadHdPYmhsWmh0M0pXQWpuVkVNTzF6Znc#gid=0 This is a team event, and I need everybody to ENTER the best that they have. The biggest challenge is that your image MAY need to be reprinted, larger, and mounted/matted in similar style as other contributors. NOTE: The images MAY NOT be back in time for the EOY...which is another reason it is good to have a second print of your top images. This is a new contest for West Brook (and fairly new even for ATPI). Everybody submits AT LEAST two of your BEST pieces of work for consideration. This is a Team/School, so everybody is expected to help make this happen. It can not be just one person, but it most likely cannot be everybody.
WB Annual EOY Contest - Due BEGINNING of 6th GP. Start gathering your stuff. Show is set for the week after the end of the 5th 6 weeks. Multiple entries will be required. No new stuff is REQUIRED, but anticipated.
The Photo Finale - Digital Submission in the 6th GP. See the website for the MRE, etc. - Not Applicable for 2014-15. 2015-16 - Not sure yet???
Hal Fulgham - Scholarship - No official requirement, but if you are a senior, you SHOULD enter this. This is up to $1,000, any school, any major. Even if you entered Protégé knowing you will not go to Lamar no matter what, here is your chance to get some money regardless of where you go!
- Current Events - One event by the Friday of the 3rd week. All you need to turn is post or your images to your Picasa Web Gallery showing you shot an event. Make sure you label the gallery, with the date first, then what the event is and finally that it is the 5th 6 weeks CE. Ex. 2012-Be sure previous current events are still present in your gallery.
- Video 2 - Edited Version...due by the end 2nd week of the 5th GP...finalize, export and upload by the end of the 3rd week.
- Video 3 - All PLANNING (treatment and storyboard) due in BEFORE the end of the 3rd week. Video for V3 should be completed by the end of 3rd week. A nearly final edit should be complete by the end of the 5th GP.
- Video 4 - Treatment by 3rd Friday of 5th 6 weeks. Since this is an animation/timelapse, the Treatment will be different than a traditional video...but I still want something to show that you have planned your project. Planning and/or shooting should be under way. Shooting may need to begin right away in the 4th 6 weeks, depending on your topic. Shooting to be completed by end of 5th 6 weeks...no later than immediately after the EOYC.
- Online Galleries - continue managing your Westbrook Online Gallery at Picasa Web. I will be checking this again. Continue to add to your existing galleries, and creating new galleries.
- Focus - Each day, complete a focus. Most of the 5th GP consists of Video Modules...please be sure to keep up...completing 1 per day. Some days I will discuss more than one. Should be through Module 32 by the end of the 5th.
- Special Topic 4/5 - Final culmination of this project to be presented at the end of the 5th 6 weeks. Please prepare either a collection of your samples as well as your final work in a Web Gallery.
- Rising Star - See 5th GP for more info
- Focus 6 - Complete Modules - start with Mod 38, where every you left off, and complete one to two per day. You are done with the Focus when you are done with the Modules. In lieu of the Modules, you may elect to subscribe to a Videomaker Magazine with the discount I have arranged for you. You will get a 100 for the Focus (x3) as well as a 100 CE6 (x2...for 500 points total).
- CE6 or alternative work - BEFORE 3rd wk of 6 weeks. - Mall "Booth" time will count toward this grade.
- No ST : ) - Can I get a YEAH???
- Participation Grade - As we end the year, there are many activities which need all of our assistance and cooperation to make happen. So, in lieu of the ST 6 weeks project, class participation will be a grade as a part of your Focus. Most of you all have done a great job of stepping up to the challenge of our rivals...oh, wait, that is a song. Seriously. Generally, all of my 2nd+ year students do a great job up to this point. The next few weeks are very important to me and this program in pulling off the EOY Contest and Winners Display (library). And at a time when it is natural to start slacking off, I need you all to rise again, once more...to help yourself and others get the recognition you all deserve. And, if your grade doesn't matter to you...then do it because I need you to. Ok?
- EOYC WB Annual - End Of Year Contest - Entries due by April 28, 2016. Grade is based on unique divisions - 8=95, 7=90, 6=85, 5=80, 4=75. Req 1 video (either V2 or V3), 1 darkroom print (mounted) and 2 CGG/DCI. Only a FEW works days remain. Please plan to come in during some of your other classes. PLEASE NO OTHER GUESTS. Please come in to work.
Entry fee is 50 cents per entry.
The Photo Finale - 5 Entries Minimum - email submission. No more than one per category unless you exceed the RME. Due by 4pm, 2nd week, May 9, 2014. 50 cents an entry has been the amount in the past. I will confirm this as soon as I can...the past couple of years this has NOT be run due to the host school opting to not offer the contest.
- Video 3 - Final Edit - May 1st if it is to be your contest entry. Otherwise, May 7th.
- Video 4 - Shooting MUST be complete by the end of the 2nd week of the 6th GP, May 1st. Really, it should be done before this to allow adequate time to be EDITED and EXPORTED to be incorporated into the DVD.
- DVD - Movie Style DVD production with Sub Menus and Extras with DVD Case. Include: Video 1, Video 2, Photostory, Extra, etc. - http://www.vtc.com/products/Adobe-Encore-DVD-2-tutorials.htm
- DVD Cover - Design the cover for the DVD case. See Video Production page for more layout details including dimensions.
- Online Galleries - Last check. 40 Minimum Galleries. Make them look good by choosing good representative images for each gallery. Continue managing your Online Gallery at PicasaWeb even after school is out. It is a GREAT way to show case your work, regardless of what social up and coming app/website comes along over the next decade. I am pretty sure Google will stand the test of time, unlike Facebook, etc.
- Final Exam Pt 1 Review Sheet is online. You can print it at home if you really want a paper copy.
See hold list
Free up space on your dropbox. Cull your duds. If it is a dud, delete it.
Rename your folders. Try using the Renaming Program to rename your images in batches...but keep the original index number.
Check out this years award recipients and (should be up late May).